Lessons from the Gun: Part 1 ~ by Ransom

Firearms are loud and obvious, but they offer some important lessons to those willing to learn. Some are gun lessons and some are life lessons. I have used firearms one way or another for most of my life and learned a few of those lessons. In this article I want to convey them to you.

Changing People's Minds


Though I had started using firearms at a young age, I was a strong proponent of gun control through adolescence. It wasn't really a contradiction – I believed in restrictions, not banning – but it brought me into contact with people of a different perspective. People talked and threw numbers, statistics, and scenarios at me, but I didn't budge.

And really, who does?

The more I see of people the more I come to the conclusion that explanations are assembled to support beliefs already held. It was true in my case. We feel the need to pretend to be rational but will only follow the reasoning so far as it appears to hew to the correct conclusion. Facts and thinking are sincerely consulted only in those cases where a belief has not already received emotional investment.

That's not to say that argumentation has no value, but it is not valuable for everything. Facts and thinking are valuable for shoring up the faithful and swaying the genuinely undecided but have little or no utility for convincing those who believe otherwise. That's just how we are.

I came around on the topic of gun control for three main reasons; long-term relationships with people I respected, actual experience, and the responsibility of adulthood.

Here is the first lesson: long relationships with people who have earned trust are a strong way of changing minds. Facts make a difference, especially to those whose self-worth requires them to make a good-faith effort to grapple with them, but there is no substitute for trust and accountability with people who are safe to be vulnerable with.

If you want to change people's minds, build relationships. Have a ready defense for your beliefs in order to raise questions and retain respect, but the real changes happen over time. You may not even be there to reap the harvest. That's all right.

Talk and Action


People like to talk and talk, boasting about what they would do in such-and-such a situation, how they would react under this or that circumstance. You know what I'm saying; we all do it.

I could for example brag about how I would handle an errant alligator. I could give exact details and provide the necessary references, providing a stunning representation of my own competence in a safely theoretical scenario. My region is free of alligators so I can expect to safely impress my friends (or at least myself) at a very low price.

If I lived in the Everglades the mental calculus would be different. Saying what I will do with the very real alligator in the front room carries more weight. I would be evaluated based on my actual, not theoretical, performance.

So it was for me when I brought home my first gun. I had handled others' firearms for years by that point, but bringing home my own gun, for which I was entirely and exclusively responsible, was another matter.

I laid the gun on my bed and thought about it. I had wanted the gun and still did, but had not appreciated the full weight and responsibility of owning it. Whatever the gun did, I did. No-one was responsible for it but me. I had never before experienced that in life.

Here are the second and third lessons: the only part of you that counts, that you can know to be true, is what you do; whatever you believe about yourself that hasn't been tested is just a theory. Childhood exists in the embrace of many unguessed mercies provided by those who take on responsibilities you can't handle. Adulthood requires identifying and replacing those buttresses you hadn't known existed.

Holding an explicit instrument of death in your hand provides the opportunity to learn what you really believe. I lost a share of bravado and gained a bit of wisdom at this time.

To be concluded in part 2.

Comments

_