99 Rules for Men, Part 33


33. When you marry someone, remember you marry their entire family. 

This is very true. Sure, you can move hundreds of miles away, but you still have to deal with them. More importantly, apples do not fall far from the tree. Your future wife will have similar attitudes as her parents, brothers and sisters. When we started dating in college, I made a point to drive over 200 miles to my wife's family so I could meet them. She thinks it was so I could show them who I was. In reality, it was to recon her family, I needed to see what I was getting into.


I never had to live near her family, but I couldn't imagine it would be that great. For what little freedom you get from additional babysitting, there would be some taken away in favors for the in-laws, and drama on who said what. That verse in Genesis rings true "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh."

Comments

_