Heterosexually Gay


Back in the early 2000's two of my old high school friends were roommates. I was a missionary at the time, and the church only let us communicate via mail (policy has changed since). Anyway, just to give them a hard time for living together, I sent them a bunch of post cards of Leonardo DiCaprio (back when he was a pretty boy) just to say hi. They laughed about it for quite awhile.

Online, I will get some similar ribbing if I say something awkward, vulnerable, or emotional. Yesterday, I mentioned that we really have developed some good friendships here. For that, I got about four or five comments calling me gay, for which I deserved. It is good banter, and it helps establish the lines of proper online etiquette. Well meaning friends help other friends establish proper boundaries.

But what happens if the commenters are not well meaning friends? Last couple years, the term "bro-mance"  has been tossed around, insinuating that merely having a close friendship with male peers is gay. In that regard, it is not being used in an honest manner, it is used to manipulate and isolate men from each other. This can be especially damaging to people who are new move ins, naturally reclusive, or other social outcasts who have little means to network with others.

I have tried a few times to get involved in various clubs. Eagles Lodge, maybe a rock climbing group, or a bowling club. What I have noticed is they are primarily for older individuals, or college brats. Whatever the group, women have succeeded in inserting themselves and changing the organization. You see that with spectator sports, work, or wherever else was predominantly male.

I would like to build more friendships with men in the physical world. There is church, and I am involved with the adult men there, usually doing service projects. It is enjoyable, but not quite like some groups. The other day, I was looking online for hiking trails in the area, and I come across this link "the gay outdoors" or something like that. It was this club of gay men who go hiking together and frolic in the nude on their excursions. Needless to say, I continued browsing. Really, other than the homosexual part, it was just about what I am looking for.

It seems like the legitimate homosexuals have a leg up on their socializing opportunities. They can do things that only cater to men, and no one will disparage them for being gay. In a way, it reminds me of the "You're a racist!" trope. Until recently, 90% of the people would bow down to the leftist ideology to avoid being called a racist/sexist/homophobe. The remaining 10% who are genuinely racist will say "Yep, and here's why......" Now, wives and feminists will throw out "You're gay if you do X". So, we stay home from that hunting trip with our friends, we avoid socializing with other men, we neglect to hold onto those long term friendships, and we end up isolated.

Comments

_