Meme Monday - Part 11






In all actuality, we both cook. Most every weekday, I come home from work to dinner on the table, or 10 minutes wait. On the weekends, I will cook a time or two, mostly to communicate what food I like. Nevertheless, it is a skill you should develop.

Back when I was a kid, my mom took a job for a short time tending a store. We were still small kids, so it was up to my dad to cook. I still remember the crunchy mashed potatoes, the burnt liver and onions, and the many other failed meals we had to choke down. Many evenings, we filled up on toast or cereal. I did not want a repeat of that in my own home.

When I went off to college, I bought a Betty Crocker standard cookbook, and made it a point to meticulously cook as many dishes as I could afford in that book. Within a year's time, I became pretty good at it, and my kids prefer my cooking. Pretty soon, you will learn enough to improvise well.

A Few Things: 

Unless you have something baking in the oven for some time, stay in the kitchen. You can see any problems arising that way.

Trust your smell and checking abilities over what the timer says.

Use the simple ingredients and go from scratch, it is healthier.

Half all sugar the recipe calls for (or less)

Pie filling (fruit, water and corn starch) is much better than syrup.

Learn your spices. Find out what cumin, turmeric, and anise is for, and how to use them properly. It may take some failed experiments, but it is worth branching out.

Get a good chef's knife, they are well worth it.


 

Comments

_