WB Archives 20180104 - Asking for Help

Asking For Help

Turkish Get-Up. Ask for help. Trust Me

Let’s face it, at some point or another all of us have looked at a lift we have never done before in a magazine or online and gone into the gym and tried it. I did this about a year ago. For me the move was the Turkish Get-Up. I won’t lie to you guys, I watched videos on bodybuilding, looked at various sites and went into the gym with the confidence that only a huge dickhead can muster. Suffice to say, I went home with a pulled muscle in my oblique and missed two days at the gym.
I have been going to the same gym for a long time. I know every trainer and all of the regulars. I can think of, even now, at least 3 people who I could have walked up to and asked for a form check. But I didn’t and I suffered for it. Lesson learned.

Fast forward to today. My gym has a deadlift platform and three power racks in one place and three more power racks, side by side, in another. I was at one of the power racks squatting.

Always go deeper than parallel

I am a big believer in going deeper than parallel, my form is good and because I am only now restarting (just the TIP to see how it feels) and I am using really light weights I am pretty much looking as on track as can be. Someone came up to me from the next rack over, an obvious newbie, and asked me for a tip on squatting. I, of course, said to lower the weight drastically and use a box to gauge depth along with a few other squat pointers. For having the courage simply to ask a question, something I failed at and suffered the consequences of, they walked away, in a quick 30 seconds, with new knowledge on how to better their workout and avoid injury.

After the gym, thinking of the situation, I was reminded of how I first came to coaching J.Nyx. He simply sent me a message telling me that he was trying to get a physique like mine, had been working for years and has not seen the results he wanted. A few days of conversations and we had him set up on a plan and he saw the best physique of his life a few short months later. When I think of the balls on J.Nyx to even send that first message I am incredibly impressed. To say this to a guy you barely know must be incredibly intimidating. I don’t think I could have done it and if pressed to answer I would probably say I couldn’t.
Kurt Marnul. Because someone had to teach Arnold to lift.

The truth is, no matter what we do there is someone out there that does it better and if we don’t ask for help, tips, pointers or advice we are simply stunting our own growth and growth is why we are here in the first place. So whether you are brand new to the game or you are a many year veteran, when you step out of your comfort zone try to leave your ego behind and ask for help when you are not sure. It may sting the ego a little bit, but think of the ego as just another muscle to be conditioned. How do we condition muscle? We create micro tears in fibers so that they will heal and grow stronger.

So today I am going to give you guys an interesting challenge. If there is a lift that you have struggled with or one that you have never tried make it a point to do it. Get your ass in the gym and ask someone, whether they are a fellow lifter or a gym trainer. Eat your ego, don’t be embarrassed or shy, be polite (of course) and ask someone for help.

Comment below on lifts that you have had trouble with in the past or lifts you have never tried and have wanted to but were unsure of your form.

Comments

_