Blessings from the corona bug

Sorry about the poor formatting here and lack f picture, I’m on my phone.

Yesterday, I was walking with my wife down to the post office to get our daily junk mail. Along the way, we come across my oldest son’s seminary teacher, pushing a stroller with his two little girls. We all stop, and have a conversation about how my boy is doing and this lockdown. 10 minutes later, we all go our merry way.

I remark to my wife, “You know, if this bug wasn’t going around, I doubt we would have seen him. Which is true, right then would have been youth night at the church and we would have driven the older kids there, where they would be doing some activities. Instead, all the kids were home, playing in the yard.

This bug really has been disruptive, but it hasn’t been entirely bad. For one thing, it has slowed down life. I am working from home now, and I get to see my family more. Personally, I think we have drawn closer. There are stories of divorce rates going up, but what isn’t talked about is the repairing relationships as people are able to actually spend time together.

We went back to home schooling our oldest kids, and they are back to learning out of the textbooks from home. It got me thinking, how many kids across the nation are now being taught be the parents who love them, and not by liberal women who are proud to be “strong and independent”. Of course a number of parents are fine with allowing their kids to play Mario for the bulk of the day, but the good ones out there now have the time to instill their values on their kids.

There is more time for home cooked meals. Now that everyone is home, the quality of meals have gone up. Instead of the typical frozen burritos, apple and four Oreo cookies I typically eat, I had brown rice and home made chili for lunch. Now that I’m home, my wife steps up and cooks lunch instead of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the kids. Across the nation, I would imagine many women are reverting to their more natural roles instead of the 9 to 5 rat race. Many will find they like it. Many men are also figuring out that their wives can step up their game when hey are at home.

The other night, my wife’s cat lady friend called her up. This woman has bronchitis and came down with a fever last week so she got tested, and she is in strict lockdown until she gets the results back. Anyway, she calls my wife and has what I would consider a two hour nervous breakdown on the phone, while my wife is trying to console her. At the end of the day, there is little we can do for her, other then leave groceries on her door and run. Women are seeing cases like this along with the fear and anxiety of being alone in a stressful situation. Perhaps this will be a wake up call for some and women will figure out the life long relationships are better than the carousel or career. (It’s a hope anyway)

Comments

_