WB Archives 20180604 Favorite Lifts

Favorite Lifts: DB Close Grip Bench and Bent Bar Cable Tricep Pushdowns

Happy Monday! Guys we have a month until July 4th, the official Suns Out Guns Out holiday.  Are you beater ready?  I’m working out 7 days a week this month so I can really push the next 4 weeks.  I’ll continue to work on lagging bodyparts with an update to my favorite lifts series.  I want to build my triceps up a bit so today I’ll be reviewing Dumbbell Close Grip Bench Presses and Bent Bar Tricep Pushdowns.  Lets get to it

 

Dumbbell Close Grip Bench Press

This lift is a variation of the Barbell close grip bench, which is a known lift that blasts all three heads of your triceps.   Lou Skunt recommended more barbell close grips, and while I do them, I decided to get these a whirl.  The hand placement and ROM with these are pretty crazy.  You really feel the burn around set 8 or 9.  I like to superset these after barbell bench to really my triceps hard.    Add them into your ticeps workout to see if you like them.  You can even do inclines if you want to switch it up even more.

Lift:

  1. Start with two dumbbells, palms facing each other with about a 2-5 inch width between the dumbbells.
  2. Push the dumbbells straight up, keeping that close space between the dumbbells.  Hold for a count
  3. Bring the dumbbells back slowly to your starting position.

Video:

This guy does the lift with the dumbbells touching.  I don’t do it this way, but you can try what works for you

 

Bent Bar Cable Triceps Pushdowns

This is another pretty common lift that I see people doing, but I like to change it up.  I see most people doing triceps pushdowns with a rope or a straight bar.  Nothing wrong with the former methods, but yet again, Lou Skunt recommended the bent bar.  After this weekend, I know why too.  The slight angle pulls your triceps at a different intensity.   Once again, the burn around 10 or so reps is pretty good.  Also remember form, since its a cable there is negative tension at play.  Go slowly.  

Lift: 

  1. Use a weight you can get for at least 12 reps
  2. Grab the bar and pull it down to below your chest but not at stomach level.  Elbows should be slightly less than 45 degree angles
  3. Lower the bar down until you’re at the bottom of the motion. Be sure to contract your triceps when you get to the bottom of the lift
  4. SLOWLY return to the beginning position and repeat

 

Video

 

Reminders

As with all of our lifts, you should be doing them slowly, focusing on the contraction and flex of the muscle at the peak of the motion, and slowly returning to neutral.  Don’t rush or do a weight so heavy you are cheating it.

 

Trust The Process

 

-J. Nyx

Comments

_