WB Archives 20180619 Gym Ettiquitte

 


GYM ETIQUETTE: Do’s, Dont’s and Observations from nearly 3 Decades in the gym.

When I first started training, there was really no talk of gym etiquette. For the most part, everybody knew what they were doing, and for those who were new to the scene, they learned very quickly. However, within the last decade or so, gym etiquette has become a topic that requires frequent discussion, as most gyms these days are flooded with members and employees who have absolutely no clue what they’re doing.

I’ve listed 10 things, in no particular order, that are important to me and the effect they have on my time in the gym…

1) DO re-rack your weights. No long explanation required. If you can’t re-rack your weights, you have absolutely no business being in the gym. Period.

2) DO be aware and respectful of those around you. The gym is a sanctuary for many people, so remember, you’re not the only one there. Find a space for yourself and don’t encroach on the space of others. Don’t make a mess. Don’t drop your weights next to somebody else.  My wife was involved in an accident a few years ago. The guy on the bench next to her was very sloppy, he carelessly dropped his weights and they rolled over next to her bench (these are the 12-sided rubber dumbbells)… as she finished her set of flyes, she lowered her dumbbells next to her sides and her dumbbell on the right side caught her index finger between this guy’s dumbbell that rolled over and it pinched her finger (rubber is very unforgiving on skin). Her index finger was almost completely torn off; literally just hanging by skin. We had to shorten that workout with a trip to the ER.

3) DO treat the gym as if it was your own. Take proper care of everything you use. Clean up after yourself and everywhere you go within the gym. Wipe off the equipment when finished. Wipe off the sink counter top when you’re finished using the sink in the locker room. Don’t piss all over the floor or toilet (I see this everywhere) – WTF!?!? We’re not animals, although we may look like it while we’re training – when we’re finished, it’s back to civilization.

4) DON’T ask for a spot. I’ve lost count how many times over the years when I just finished a big set of legs or back… I’m sucking wind, my heart is pounding and I desperately need to recuperate in preparation for my next set, when I hear the dreaded: “Hey man, can you give me a spot” – NO, I’m resting. If you didn’t come prepared with a proper training partner, too bad. By doing this, you’re unfairly cutting into somebody else’s workout.

5) DON’T stink. Do we really need to discuss this? Yes we do, because there is nothing worse than having your concentration broken by the unique smell of thousand island dressing, onions, ammonia and ass combined. Also, don’t use cologne or perfume; I have a guy at my gym that I refer to as “Krispy Kreme” because he smells like donuts; his scent permeates every square inch of the gym. These types of smells can be equally disruptive. Not all of us can shower before the gym, but at the very least, we need to make sure that we wear deodorant and clean clothing. With all the products available on the market, there is no reason to stink. Sweat is one thing, ass in another!

6) DON’T walk in front of somebody while they’re working out. The mirror is a tool, and that person working out is focused on performing their exercises correctly. Wait until they are finished with their set, then approach the rack to get your weights.

7) DON’T bring accessories that belong in other parts of the gym into the free weight room. No jumping rope next to the bench press, No Bozo balls, No Swiss balls, No slamming of Medicine balls next to the squat rack, etc. – leave that shit where it belongs. This practice is not only disruptive, it’s very dangerous as well.

8) DON’T have a full conversation on your cell phone. This is highly distracting to those around you. If you must take your phone into the gym and you happen to take a call, walk away to a quiet area of the gym, as to not disturb the other members. Don’t be that guy.

9) DON’T socialize. This is not a coffee shop or a night club. Sure, you can say hi to a few of your like-minded friends, but remember, this is a place for Serious Business. At my gym, I say a quick hello to Pedro the maintenance guy and my friend Vern, a national level bodybuilder from Brooklyn. That’s it. No bullshit. I put in my work and then I go home.

10) DON’T go camping. I understand that you may want to bring a gym bag along with you, but there is no need to set up camp by acquiring 3 benches, filling protein shakers and making a mess, spreading out cell phones and tablets everywhere and taking up 150 sqft of floor space throughout your workout.

The gym can a be very supportive, positive environment, but it can also be unforgiving. To any of those guilty of certain gym infractions, just know this:  you will be given a nickname by the seasoned members of the gym and you will be made fun of until you reform!

Let’s recap:

– Get in, bust your ass, get out

– Clean up after yourself

– No fucking around

– Wash your ass

– Be respectful

… Did I mention No Fucking Around?

Sure, I’m having a little fun here, but the fact is:  I hold the gym sacred, I hold my workouts sacred, and if you’re serious about your development, I would encourage you to adopt a similar mindset.  Keep grindin’ fellas – never stop!

Comments

_