Resolutions

 


We are almost to the New Year, time to come up with an impromptu resolution to follow for about two weeks and then fail to follow through, feel guilty for maybe another couple weeks and then finally give up on. 

I have done this a number of times. I say, "I'm going do at least 60 pushups every morning......starting Tuesday" 

The issue is, if you really believe in this resolution, why are you putting it off until Tuesday? Is there some magical thing that happens with the turning of the clock? 

If it is some thing you are planning to do, but are putting it off until New Year's, maybe it is something you don't really believe in.

Goals should be continual. You should be working on them on a daily basis. At home, we have a weekly family meeting where I interview each individual about their goals. Each week, we have four goals to work on, a physical, intellectual, social, and spiritual goal. Right now, my goals are: Exercise 4 times 45 minute set, 1/2 hour engineering study 3 times, 1 social activity with another adult, and listen to church podcast 1 time. Those weekly goals work into a medium term SMART goal (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time Bound). For instance, I have the short term weekly exercise goal which plays into my weight and body fat goals. My long term goal is more of an objective (to improve physically and be healthy)

In the weekly meeting, I talk to each child, and my wife, my wife will in turn interview me. If we achieve the goal, we get an M&M. It isn't much, but the small token is an acknowledgement that you are working to improve. 

Comments

_