99 Rules for Men Part 55





55. Always buy good shoes, sheets, and tires.

While I don't think this is especially important, it is good to have these items. My opinion on the matter is you don't need to buy the most expensive, top quality here, but you shouldn't go with the cheapest either. 

Shoes

Shoes are one of those things that can be a status symbol for some, but totally unaware to 90% of the people out there. Name brands mean little now of days that most quality merchandise manufacturing has been transferred overseas to China or Korea.  Unless you go for overly expensive top quality, you can bet your shoes have been made by communist labor factories who care little more about their product than if it can be sold. Stay away from Wal Mart or similar retail outlets.

I am the type to wear work boots or cowboy boots. They seem to last longer then light tenner shoes and they protect your feet from mud, most nails, or other sharp pointy objects. My favorite brand is Georgias, with Vibram soles, but they run in the $150 - $200 range. Right now, I am wearing Timberlands, which will last me 12-18 months for half the cost. The Georgias will last 24 months, but they tend to wear uneven if you spend most of your time on hard surfaces. Maybe if I was back in my farming/forestry days, I would choose differently. 

Sheets

I know nothing of sheets. Bought some satin sheets awhile back. They are fun to romp around with the missus on, but they fray and snag rather quickly. Cotton seems to do better. My wife likes the flannel for winter time. I really can't tell the difference.

Tires

When I was younger, I was the type to run tires down to the metal cords before I bought new ones. Then, after sliding sideways on the freeway a time or two, I realized good tires are a good investment. You can buy a lot of tires to pay for the cost of one hospital visit. What you get is up to you, but keep an eye on them. Rotate them often. Just like you wearing shoes unevenly, you can do that with tires and will shorten their lives and put undo strain on your chassis. I don't think you need the 70k mile variety, but go for a decent middle of the road variety. 

Conclusion

All of these involve rubber or rubbers. Invest wisely. 

Comments

_