Strengthening the Family Part 20 - Children Are an Heritage of the Lord



Preface

Apologies for my hiatus from contributing to this website. I was getting burned out writing and I had to take a breather. From November 2020 thru April 2021, I had a series of articles talking about ways to strengthen the family, focusing on things we can do as a couple to strengthen the marriage. If you have not done so, I would encourage you to go through and read those articles. We are now about half way through the set. 

I suppose the following articles in this series could be considered "Unit 2", as they will be focused more on the parent-child relationships. Even with a solid marriage, children can try a parent's patience. 

Children are an Heritage of the Lord

After Jesus descended from the Mount of Transfiguration, they made their way to Capernaum and the disciples asked Jesus, "Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven?".

“And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,

“And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

“Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

“And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.

“But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.”

Children then and children today bless our lives and teach us to love in ways we never can with anyone else. Being a parent myself six times over, I can tell you that children are a source of some of the greatest joys in life, even if they are exasperating, try your patience, and eat all your steak. 

Having Children

My wife and I were in college when we married during Christmas break, I was half way through my Junior year, she was half way through her senior year. About a week into our marriage, she ended up pregnant. She finished up her classes that spring contending with morning sickness. Our son was born that fall. He participated in a Nativity Scene that following year where he was the baby Jesus at church.

Living off my sawmill wages, and her summer weed puller wages, we made it work that year. Luckily, I got an early signing bonus that year, we were absolutely out of money when I graduated. For the next dozen years, we had one every other year, with me working as an engineer and her staying home to take care of the kids as they grow. 

Today, my kids range from ages 4 to 16, and we spend $1,100 per month on food alone, along with housing, car trips, insurance, and a myriad of other costs. In addition to their financial costs, there is the extra time spent cooking, cleaning, teaching, and parenting. As hard and resource consuming as it is though, I am glad to be a parent. The joys of seeing your children grow and slowly transition into adulthood are amazing. 

If you are in a healthy marriage and of the right age, you should consider having children. As hard as they are to deal with at times, they are a real pleasure. 

Homework

If you have children, make a commitment to spend individual quality time with each child, or child in your extended family. As you talk with each child, seek to learn something new about their interests, needs and issues. 

Discuss your children with your spouse. Talk about each individual and their strengths and problems. Discuss how you as a couple can help them overcome their problems.

Comments

_