WB Archives 20181127 - Awakening of The Beast

 

Awakening of The Beast

Off season will be over before we know it and we will be back on the full on assault.  Most all of us on the team have been taking it lighter and focusing more on cardio/maintenance work.  As WB says “Even pro athletes get an off season” and hes right.  That said, a few days over the past week I’ve done a workout day that fits in with our core, on season program.  We’re talking a full 2 hours lifting, 15 different workout and cardio.  The first day it fucking sucked.  The next day, it sucked less.  This morning was chest/tri day and 15 workouts later, ans 21000lbs moved total, and I realized just how quickly it all comes back to you. I was supersetting chest and tri workouts, doing 4×20

I did all this as a test to myself. Since September,  I’ve cut my training basically in half.  In this time I’ve been resting, doing less volume, more cardio and the like.  I lost some of the strength and gains I had, but all in all its been good, or it seemed that way.  Mentally I was just in a funk I couldn’t shake.  Fast forward to 3 days before Thanksgiving and I said, fuck it lets do the real deal.  I was weak, I was sore, but it energized me in other ways.  I fell asleep at 6pm that night because of how tired I was, but the next day at 4am, I was back in there doing the full high rep assault we are all used to.  I cut it back to the lighter stuff Wednesday then Friday, only to hit it hard again yesterday and today.  Its just a taste, and Im going to dial it back down until we go live in 2019, but just like a powerlifter will randomly test his PR, I think a random day of the full on shit is good for you.

As WB said, its not time for the full routine yet, but it was good to know that when that time cones, it wont take long to get back into the swing of things.  WB’s weekend challenges are coming soon and that will be my day to get closer to go time.  A key takeaway I got from this is that when I went in the gym today, I was the first one in there, doing the gorilla walk, and getting my shit done.  It prepped me mentally for everything I did so far today.  This shit is as much for your head as your body.

 

-J. Nyx

Comments

_