Rules for Men 65 - Doing Dutch

 


65. Don't split a check.

Maybe I'm not the one to talk about dinner etiquette with dating. I ended up married before having enough money to take girls out on dinner dates. With the few times I did take girls out, I never had much luck doing dinner for a date.

That being said, there is something to consider with modern dating apps and low investment on the part of the woman before you take a girl out. I hear there are a number of women who use men for free food. It is appalling that some women take advantage of men like that. I suppose the thing is to balance out the investment into the relationship with your other half. Sure, you can invest more, but you should see to it that she meets you somewhat. When you ask her out on a date, suggest something simple and easy to afford. If she suggests something more extravagant, ask if it is her treat. If she acts "offended" because you don't want to pay the extra herself, she is trying to use you. Never have I had a woman genuinely interested in me suggest I spend more money on her. If they are interested, they will follow you, regardless if the "date" is pulling weeds and picking up trash for a charity with you (that actually happened and we had a good time), or whatever.

Splitting a check does communicate a lack of romantic interest on your part, which is fine. There was a time I took a girl out, and lost interest in her in the course of the afternoon. But, I was hungry by the time I was to drive home. So, I decided to take her to a cafe but split the check. I made sure she knew before we got to there however. 

On the first real date with my wife after I got back from my 2 year mission, we finished up a church activity and I got the vibes that she finally had romantic interest in me. Prior, we had several double dates, and other cheesy platonic group activities like paintballing, mini golf, sledding, cross-country skiing, board games, and hikes. This time, I took her out to Dairy Queen and I ordered and we shared a banana split. From there, I walk her home and we stop in this park gazebo. I tell her I am tired of her indecisiveness, and I want us to date exclusively. That was her first kiss. Our first (and maybe only) real dinner date was the night I asked her to marry me three months later. I did cook food for her, and she did for me. Such is the life a poor college student. 

Proper dinner etiquette means you lean while breaking wind. 



Comments

_