Youtube Repost 20190423 Look Sharp

Take a look at these photos: I got these from an image search: "Crowd 1940 5th Avenue", then 1950, and on until 2000. Notice the drop in how people cared about how they looked. The 1940, 1950, and 1960, were relatively the same. But then there was a large change for the 1970's, and then a slow degradation from there.


1940's

1950's




1960's


1970's
1980's

1990's

2000's


What happened? Why don't people really care about how they look anymore?

I grew up on a dairy farm. We had cows. I had school to go to, but we didn't go to church, not were we very formal in our dress. Other than a few flannels, I did not have any button-up shirts. I thought of myself as a redneck, and really didn't care about what people said about my mullet, or my wife-beaters. I was young and buff, and tough. (and mangy) Funny thing though, I could not get any responses from any girls that were not white trash. While amusing, those girls are not who I wanted to spend my life with, nor are they the type I wanted to take home to show to my mom and dad.

The following year at college, I made some life changes. I started following the goody-goody crowd at college, and started going to church. The first time I went to church, I put on my newest tee shirt, and the bluest pair of Wranglers I had, combed my hair and walked in the building. Everyone there was wearing either a suit and tie, or a dress. I kind of felt out of place, but they were warm and accepting. On the way home, I stopped by a Walmart, and got a white shirt and tie to wear with my blue jeans.

Over the coming years, I bought a second hand suit to wear to church, and had a few nicer shirts. Then I went on a mission. The standard uniform is a suit and tie (you may have seen the two guys with name badges going around). I became comfortable wearing a suit to the grocery store, or hanging out in public. Eventually, I came home and wore normal clothes again.

Today, I typically wear a button up shirt and jeans during the days, a suit to church, and jeans and a tee-shirt around the house, unless I am going to town, where I will wear a button up shirt or polo. When my wife and I go to the temple about once a month, we will typically do some shopping in Salt Lake in our church clothes, and sometimes get some funny looks if we are in a rougher part of town.

When I am dressed up, I noticed people take me more seriously and are more friendly. It isn't a huge difference, but people do notice. It presents a message that you are someone who cares about yourself. Girls may notice, but so does the average person out there. Doing so helps me feel better about myself, my wife think I'm more attractive, and my overall mood improves.

I am not a fashion expert, nor do I ever want to become one. But there are style tips around on the internet  to look at. What trend you want to follow is up to you, but it is worth putting effort. I know when I see others dressing up, I have better vibes from them.

Really, dressing up is not unlike other departments of your life. You work out or go on a diet, and even though it makes your muscles sore, you feel better about yourself. Same way if you study something that is a learning experience, or clean up your house, or fix that crunchy sound when you turn on the car heater. It is some effort, but you benefit from it.  

Comments

_