WB Archives 20190225 - Where are you going?

 

Where Are You Going?

Recently, during a conversation with Nyx, we discussed the importance of having goals in the gym. Let’s be clear, not the importance of achieving goals, but the importance of having them.

I have mentioned before that it is better to set goals that are just outside what you think is possible than try to exactly peg reality. If you don’t make it you don’t make it, but why not shoot for the stars.

We are still at the very beginning of our season. Phase 1. Week 2. So if you do not have your exact goals dialed in, now is the time to get on that.

If you only aim for what you believe you are capable of, how will you ever find your real limits? Aim past your capability, find your absolute limit and next year go past it.

For me, My goal is to be between 200* pounds with sub 6% body fat. Measurement goals for symmetry will be a 49 inch chest, 29 inch waist and 19 inch arms, 29 inch thigh and 19 inch calves.

Am I going to hit this? Most likely not. But this is what I want and I am focusing on

Going into a 7 month long workout season without having specific goals is no different than walking into the gym without a specific plan to work out.

getting there. I am going to run towards this goal as fast as humanly possible and if i hit a wall before attaining it, I intend to hit that wall hard.

So how do we set our goals. My advice is to do it the old fashioned way, with a pencil and paper.

Our workout season is broken down into 8 phases. You should have very specific phase goals. Write them down. If you don’t hit them, analyze where you could have changed things to make them more likely.

Also, with goals, have mini steps along the way. I want my arm to be 19 inches. That doesn’t mean i am just going to keep working out until they are. My first goal right now is 16.5. By the end of phase one I hope to have this. That is a half inch bigger than I expect. So having the goal and wanting to make it (even if just for being able to check it off) is making me work harder. I am thinking about that number, 16.5, with every rep. Every time I curl a weight or every triceps push down, every time I get close to failure I am thinking 16.5 by the end of phase one no fucking excuses. Phase one is a four week phase. We are half way done with it. I have a sense of urgency. I want this goal and I am going to check it off and I have 3 weeks to get there.

And it is not just this, I have similar marker goals for my other measurements as well as my weight. By the end of phase 2 I expect my waist measurement to have been drastically changed. Before you hit the floor every day look at your workout. Which goals are going to be relevant today. Obsess over them. Stare at yourself in the mirror. Visualize yourself already at that goal. Your mind muscle connection starts here.

So let me know below what your goals are? What are some of the checkpoints on the way to obtaining them? If you don’t have some picked out, get to that shit right away. It is important.

Of course, if you want to discuss your goals with me you know how to get me. In the meantime, here is an old WB Article on the Grecian Ideal. Maybe it will help get your thinking started.

 

 

 

* The reason I am aiming for 200 pounds is because of the Steve Reeves theory of ideal body measurement. Reeves believed that a person’s height limited the amount of lean muscle mass they could carry. The follow is his chart to maximum bodyweight for lean muscle

HeightWeight
5’5″160lbs
5’6″165lbs
5’7″170lbs
5’8″175lbs
5’9″180lbs
5’10”185lbs
5’11”190lbs
6’0″200lbs
6’1″210lbs
6’2″220lbs
6’3″230lbs
6’4″240lbs
6’5″250lbs

Comments

_