99 Rules for Men Part 68 - Money vs. Time

 



68. The cliché is that having money is about not wasting time. But in reality, money is about facilitating spontaneity.

Growing up on the dairy farm, we didn't have much free time or money. Sure, we had the 80 acres and a creek to walk up and down, but not much to do once you get into your teenage years and bored at poking a dead cat with a pitchfork. My dad was especially that way, work or TV, or when we did make time to do something, it was typically to go to visit extended family on the yearly sabbatical to Grandma's house. 

Now, things are better. I chose a job with vacation time and we go and explore the outdoors a few times every year. Or, even better, I have three day weekends so we will do something just for fun at least bi-weekly. However with 8 mouths to feed, it is still limiting on what we can do. Plane tickets for 8 is out of the question, and there is only so far you can go on a week's vacation taking the van. But still, we make the most of it. Perhaps if I were a gozillionaire, I could afford to take the family on a cruise to Hawaii or check out the hot girls in the Ukraine, but that's not me. 

Comments

_