99 Rules Part 78 - Being Forgotten

 



78. Remember: You die twice, once when you stop breathing, and again when somebody mentions your name for the last time.

I don't know if this is true, but it sounds good. Certainly it feels good to be remembered by people from the past in your life. Just the other day, I ran into an old college friend from 20 years ago. For the life of me, I couldn't remember his name. He lived not far from my hometown and we ended up going to the same college at the same time so we often carpooled across the state to go home for Christmas break or whatever. I asked him about what he is doing with life, if he has family and all that. It was good to meet him and jog my memory. Afterwards, I had to ask my wife what his name was and now it is seared into my memory, for a year at least if I ever run into him again. 

I kind of feel bad, because he remembered all about me, including the name of our firstborn son. For the life of me, I just couldn't remember any details about him. I guess if you don't want to be forgotten, you need to be more memorable than my old college friend. He was a good guy, a little quiet and reserved, very average overall though. Find ways to be unique, without trying to be unique. There are millions of lemmings out there who brake about their individuality when they are doing the exact same thing that everyone else is doing. Develop the skills and talent to be remembered, and preferably in a good way. 

Comments

_