Dancing

 

DANCING



Dancing can be awkward and/or fun

THE BEGINNINGS

Like many kids, I grew up not really liking to dance. Around 4th grade, I remember the dumb square dance lessons in PE and being partnered with the fat girl that nobody liked. She always had sweaty hands. Nevertheless, I pushed through because that was expected. I learned how to do-se-do and to promenade home. 

By middle school, I started to take an interest in girls. In 8th grade, our PE teacher brought in a couple who taught us a few simple moves in country swing dancing. We learned the walk through, the windmill, and a few more steps. I enjoyed the swing dance, unfortunately we didn’t do it long enough for me to become comfortable at leading. 

Around this time were my first school dances. We would go there and the boys and girls would be so awkward. The boys would hang out with the boys and vice versa with the girls. Even if there was no problem with awkwardness on the playground pulling her hair or beaming her with rubber balls, there was something so strange about the chemistry that made talking to girls at dances just terrible. What should be a social event seemed like anything but a social event. Eventually, about an hour into the dance with nobody dancing, a few boys got up the courage to ask the girls out on the floor. Breaking the ice was so tough back then. 

My freshman year, a friend of mine got into a swing dance club and asked me to go along with him on a weekly class. I declined the offer. Looking back on it, I regret that decision. The club didn't last long, but within a year, he knew all the moves and could grab a girl who knew nothing and twirl her around like Fred Astaire with Ginger Rogers. Oddly enough, he climbed in popularity with the girls while I remained stagnant (him getting a pickup his sophomore year helped too).

It is about this time that we started regular school dances. In high school, I volunteered myself to do a lot of the DJ stuff. Kids would bring in their tapes, as would I, and I would busy myself by rewinding the various tapes to the songs and get them lined up to play. It was pretty stressful at times because I never had the latest and greatest music, and people would come in with their tapes for me to play and it was tough to do the requests as well as do a good balance between rock, country, and pop stuff, as well as maintaining the preferred slow, fast, fast, slow continuity between songs. But, I did have some help with other kids. I enjoyed getting out on the floor and jiggling around, even though I had no idea what I was doing. Although I didn't know it at the time, the "dancing with myself" idea really isn't nearly as much fun as when you actually know how to dance with a woman. 

When I started college, I was introduced to a new style of dancing. I go there with some friends in my calculus class and check out a college dance. It was dark with non-stop loud hip-hop and rap. The people on the floor were grinding on each other like they needed to get a hotel room, and nobody talked to each other, or even could talk to each other without yelling in each other's ears. Maybe I'm an old fuddy-duddy, but if the extent of socializing is random strangers humping on stranger's legs, maybe a dog park would be a more suitable location. Needless to say, I didn't go back. Sadly, I hear this culture has crept into the high school dance scene too. 

The following year, I got involved with church and attended their youth dances. They were much better. The had the music volume low enough that you could actually communicate without yelling at each other, the place was lit up better, and the young men and women weren't humping on each other like at the clubs, college dances or bath houses. They felt more like the old high school dances that I was accustomed to, only the teenage awkwardness was gone by this time. A few of the guys knew how to swing dance and I was jealous of that. Those were probably my favorite dances before I actually took the time to learn how to dance.

DANCING STYLES

The fall before we got married, my fiancé and I took a country swing class together. It was 9 weeks of learning the particular moves. Although it didn't do anything for my career, it was the most enjoyable classes I took in college, and arguably one of my most useful college classes too. My wife and I have gotten a lot of enjoyment with swing dancing in the 20 years following. For the slow songs, we do a waltz which enables us to move across the floor, unlike the boring turning a circle dance like Napoleon in the top picture.

Swing is my favorite for fast songs

The Waltz Enables You to Move Gracefully Across the Floor

Since being married, my wife and I liked to go out when we could. However, was more difficult when the kids were young and we couldn't afford baby-sitting very often. In Salt Lake City, there was a ballroom club that we tried to go to every month or so. It didn't always happen, but it was a non-drinking establishment that had many good people that went there to socialize and teach each other dancing as a local band played. It was a fun way to spend an evening out as a couple.

Unfortunately, because it didn't serve alcohol, the place was struggling financially and went bankrupt during the Covid shutdown. Then, in December of 2021, I fell off of our 2nd story roof, breaking my left leg and putting me out of dancing for awhile. With me being gimpy and in my late 40's, I have my worries if I will ever be able to really swing dance again. My wife is also struggling with a bum knee. The joys of getting older…

On Valentines Day this year, I took my wife to a beginners' square dance activity.  There, we learned how to bow to our partner, do-see-do, and a few other basic moves. It is a low stress dance, meaning it doesn't aggravate bad knees or crunchy hips nearly as bad as swing dancing can. The crowd is typically retired folk, or kids. And for good and bad, it is not a pick-up social setting, . Coming full circle to my grade-school beginnings, I really enjoy square dancing this time around. I really like the crowd, and I like my current dancing partner better too. They are nice, clean, friendly people who like to talk (some like to talk a little too much).

Square Dancing Can Be Surprisingly Fun


We all know that the popularity of social clubs and events has been waning since the advent of TV and other electronics. Personally, I think that is a very sad thing. As fun as watching reruns of Seinfeld can be, I don't think there is any real substitute for getting out there and meeting people face to face. If you go to bars and clubs, dancing is all about the hook up culture and finding a quick score. That is not as prevalent if you learn to dance as couples. We learned to dance by taking a class, but there are many other venues and social clubs with good people who want to grow the hobby who are more than willing to help you learn enough to have an enjoyable time. 

If you are hopelessly single and have no interest in the meet markets, there is also line dancing. I have an aunt who is single in her late 70's who goes out to a local church sponsored line dancing club. I never really enjoyed that style, but she does. At country bars, there is usually a line dancing group on the floor while a few couples like my wife and I would swing dance along with a few other couples off to the side.

Line Dancing is also an option.


For those who really get into dancing, there are many more interesting styles out there. Tango looks very fun for those who know how, but it is above our skill level. There is the basic slow danceWaltzSalsaFoxtrotSambaRumbaMamboCha ChaTwo StepPolka, Country SwingWest Coast SwingSquare DancingClog DancingRound Dancing, and a host of many others, with variants based on locality. Like learning languages, once you learn some styles, the other styles become easier to learn. We have dabbled with Salsa, Cha Cha, Two Step, and West Coast Swing, but we go back to what we know better. *Check out the links under each underlined item. 

MUSIC EXAMPLES



TO THE MEN 

I know there is a huge consensus among men that dancing is gay (not homosexual gay, but flamboyant and fruity). There is some truth to that, but you certainly don't have to be flamboyant in your mannerisms, although the flamboyant ones seem to win the awards. But what can be more masculine than having a beautiful woman in your arms and controlling and leading her through the dance floor? If you can dance well, you have a real skill for charming women.

 Knowing how to lead can be tricky, especially if you don't know the moves very well yourself. But I can take most any girl, whether she knows how to dance or not and twirl her around, dip her, and get a smile out of her. It isn't a magical spell that turns you into a Chad, but it is certainly a useful tool in your dating toolbox. Knowing how to lead and how to get a woman to have fun on the dance floor is well worth the effort. If you get married, the knowledge will continue to pay dividends as you take her out regularly on date nights. It gives you more options than just taking her out to eat or going out “stargazing”. 

TO THE WOMEN

Notice in my last paragraph where I said "most any girl". There are some women out there that I cannot lead well, and those are the women who want to lead the dance themselves. But, as long as she is willing to follow and keeps a firm but relaxed posture, it doesn't matter much if it is her first time on the floor, I could get her to do most anything on the floor and it would look like we both know what we are doing. Ladies, let him lead you around and just have fun with it.  

I suggest a new strategy, let the Wookie lead. 

As with dating, if a guy asks you out on the floor to dance, please graciously accept. Even if you perceive him as below your social standing, demonstrating kindness will win over points with the guys that you really want to attract. With an exception of the most seedy clubs, you are in a safe environment protected by the public setting. Most guys will stop asking women if they get rejected too often. But, if he asks you again and you are not attracted to him, go ahead and politely decline. You don't want to give him false hopes. 
 
CONCLUSION

Social dancing can be considered a sexist hobby, the man nearly always leads and the woman nearly always follows. Others may consider it fruity and lame. However, my wife and I really enjoy dancing. It is good exercise and it helps establish good relations between us. The Yin and Yang is very strong with dancing. Going out dancing is one of our favorite date night ideas. It is very enjoyable and brings out the attraction between us. Compared to other hobbies, it is fairly low cost. 

My biggest advice, just relax. Unless you are competing, nobody cares if you mess up a little on the footwork. Most will just get a chuckle if you end up going the wrong way in a line dance or around the square. You are there to have fun. If you are swing dancing, feel free to experiment a little and learn from others. Or, grab your wife, clear out an empty spot in your living room and learn from You Tube. Classes are also available, or just go and wing it. You will learn in time as you pick it up from others. 

I was surprised at the number of clubs there are in my area. I would bet that there are clubs available in your own area if you know where to look. For the Salt Lake City area, there is this website, I found it by Googling "Square Dance Utah":  http://www.utsquaredance.org/ Or, if you would rather talk to real people, look for flyers or go to a parade and ask the people dancing around on a float, they are always looking for new recruits and would be happy to help you. 

America is the land of 1000 dances

Comments

_